A REGION WITH MOMENTUM
We track the performance of our economy relative to peer regions through our Regional Indicators Dashboard, allowing us to identify and celebrate our region’s strengths as well as invest our energy and resources in areas we need to improve. By working together, we continue to advance our region’s global competitiveness.
To achieve our vision of leading the world in inclusive economic growth, we have identified nine focus areas and are working to set 10-year ambitions to drive continued regional success.
CURRENT PERFORMANCE STATS
- #1 in our peer set for overall workforce participation and women in the workforce, year after year, at 72 percent and 77 percent, respectively, in 2018
- 2.7 percent unemployment, among the lowest in the nation
- 265 percent net migration increase of millennials
- Top 2 in new business survivability rate
- #1 in proximity to parks
- Top 3 in commute times
- Top 3 for post-secondary degree attainment
- Racial inclusion: Our regional vision is to lead the world in inclusive economic growth by welcoming all, empowering talent & igniting innovation. We recognize that racial inclusion is a central component of building an inclusive economy. The Greater MSP Region has narrowed the gap between the percentage of whites and the percentage of people of color who are working by the greatest percentage of any of our peer regions over the past five years. Yet progress is coming too slowly, and the gains are vulnerable to an economic contraction.
- Affordability: Our region is #1 in fewest number of cost-burdened households vs. our peers, though our apartment rent growth is rising too fast. Affordability, like racial inclusion, is one of our nine focus areas.
MSP ECONOMIC PULSE
Each quarter, GREATER MSP releases a snapshot of key economic indicators for the Greater MSP region to help you digest what matters most to you.
THE STORY BEHIND THE NUMBERS
REGIONAL EMPLOYMENT BY INDUSTRY
|Industry||% of Total Employment|
|Trade, Transportation, Utilities||17.99%|
|Educational & Health Services||16.76%|
|Professional and Business Services||16.20%|
Leisure and Hospitality
|Mining & Natural Resources||0.04%|