LEADING TALENT ECONOMY
Greater MSP’s robust talent pipeline is fueled by 36 colleges and universities – including the University of Minnesota, a Big 10 public research university ranked in the top 50 worldwide. Forty percent of our population age 25+ holds a BA degree or higher, and 80 percent of annual college grads stay in the region.
LEADING HEADQUARTERS ECONOMY
We specialize in building and growing global companies. With 16 homegrown Fortune 500 companies and 22 Fortune 1000 companies, our region is an ecosystem where large enterprises and small businesses work together.
WELCOME TO THE BOLD NORTH
You’ll love it here in the Greater MSP region, where our leading talent economy is supported by more top-tier companies per capita than any large U.S. metro, and our ambitious regional vision to lead the world in inclusive economic growth is ensuring a bright future for the North.
A GLOBAL GATEWAY
- 167 nonstop destinations including 32 international flights to major world cities like Paris, Dublin, Tokyo and Toronto, and 135 domestic flights
- Minneapolis International Airport ranked the best airport of its size in North America three years running (2017 – 2019, Airports Council International)
- 126 languages and dialects spoken here; 27% increase in foreign-born population between 2010-2018; overall immigrant population of 11%
- 132 companies with locations outside the U.S.
DYNAMIC SECTORS OF STRENGTH
The Greater MSP region boasts multiple sectors of strength, represented by 16 Fortune 500 and 22 Fortune 1000 companies, and more than 20 corporate research centers. In addition, our region is home to 35 companies with revenues exceeding $1 billion. Learn more about our key industries: Health & Life Sciences, Food & Water, Headquarters & Business Services, Financial Services & Insurance, and Advanced Manufacturing & Technology .
- One of the most diverse economies in the country. Every one of our 16 Fortune 500 companies began as a start-up. This legacy of innovation continues as these leading companies host national accelerator programs in retail, food, fintech and health, investing in the future of our diversified economy.
- Home to some of the world’s largest companies, including;
- The largest private health insurance company - UnitedHealth Care
- The largest digital health company - Optum Health
- The largest medical device company – Medtronic
- Five of the world’s 30 largest food companies – Cargill, CHS, General Mills, Land O’ Lakes, and SuperValu
- #1 most concentrated medical device workforce in the U.S. and 2nd largest overall
- 3rd largest combined food science and biomedical engineering workforce in the U.S.
- Top 10 in the U.S. for Technology and Science R&D spending
- Higher concentration of global financial and insurance talent than average U.S. metro
CAREER AND QUALITY OF LIFE WITHOUT COMPROMISE
Quality of life sets us apart. A shared sense of community keeps us together. The Greater MSP region is one of the best places to live and work in America – and the number of reasons why keeps on growing. We invite you to experience all the Bold North has to offer:
- #1 Place to Raise a Family (WalletHub, 2018)
- #1 Happiest State in the Nation (Magnify Money, 2018)
- #6 Best Place to Live in the U.S. (U.S. News & World Report, 2019)
- Top 10 in the Creative Vitality Index
- Top 10 U.S. Cities for Entrepreneurs and Start-ups (Business.org, 2018)
- Best Parks in the U.S. (The Trust for Public Land)
- Lowest commute in our peer set at less than 30 minutes for approximately two-thirds of residents
- Home to more than 1,500 of Minnesota’s 10,000+ lakes
- 70 percent homeownership rate, six percentage points higher than the U.S. (U.S. Census Bureau, American Community Survey, 2018 one-year estimate)
- #12 in U.S. for quality of PreK-12 education (U.S. News & World Report, 2019)
- #1 for Volunteerism in the U.S
- Award-winning James Beard Chefs and Restaurants
- Highest Voter Turnout in the Country
BUILDING A BOLD FUTURE
The Greater MSP region is rich in economic opportunity, civic engagement, natural beauty and the promise of a bright future for all. To ensure it remains a top-ranked destination for business, talent and quality of life, the GREATER MSP Partnership is working together to set 10-year ambitions that will be supported by measurable three-year goals.